Monday, July 13, 2015

Final thoughts on my 2014 rankings

I find it interesting that I got 3 out of the 4 playoff teams correct, including Ohio St, in both of my polls.  The only team that didn't make it was Florida St (8th in Preseason Poll & 9th in Equal Poll), with Marshall taking their spot.

As mentioned in an earlier post, I need to devise a way to incorporate SOS in my weekly rankings for the 2015 season.  This is the reason Marshall remained at the top in both polls throughout the season because they kept winning.

Another curious thing is Florida St's weekly struggle to barely win each week cost them in points and therefore did not make it up to the final 4 in my polls.  Now, if SOS was a factor, they might have had enough points to make it up there.

So my final take is that without SOS being added in, my system works.  It makes sense since my rankings are solely based on results on the field without any voter bias.  With the playoff committee, I believe they are using the same criteria in their rankings.  I'm curious if Baylor and TCU played a Big 12 title game if either one of them would have made it to the top 4 in my polls.  Baylor finished at 6th in the Preseason Poll and 7th in the Equal Poll.  While TCU finished7th in the Preseason Poll and 5th in the Equal Poll.  I bet that extra victory would have put whoever the winner was right up there battling for the 4th spot and possibly Ohio St being left out.

Anyway, I can't wait for the 2015 season to start.  It's less than 60 days away.  I always know it is close when the conferences start having their media days (SEC started today 7/13) and ESPN starts their show College Football Live (which also started today).

No comments:

Post a Comment