Friday, July 17, 2015

Under 50 days and counting....

This is always the toughest time of the year for sports fans.  After the Stanley Cup Final, NBA Finals and MLB Allstar Game (don't really care about MLB, but I had to put it in since there's no other team sports going on).  The good news is that the greatest sport, college football, is less than 50 days from starting.  Luckily, there are a bunch of preseason magazines to get us pumped and excited for the season to start.

I now have all of my preseason magazines so I'm starting to create my files for my 2015 rankings.  I'm also working on tweaking the formula to include strength of schedule (SOS).  I think this piece helps to prevent the issue last year with Marshall.  Nothing against Marshall, but if you look at their 2014 schedule, it was pretty bad.  The fact they went undefeated until the final week of the season, they remained in the top 4 in both of my polls.  If the SOS was included, there's no way Marshall would've been that high.  Even with that glitch, I thought it was pretty cool I came up with 3 of the 4 playoff teams in both of my polls.  I didn't have them in the same final order as the Selection Committee, but I did have Alabama, Oregon and Ohio State.  The only missing team was Florida State.  I'm curious to see how this season goes by adding SOS into the formula.

No comments:

Post a Comment