Monday, September 7, 2015

A Note Regarding my Week 1 Polls

Some of you might be curious why Ohio St is not number 1 in either one of my polls.  Well, as stated in a previous post, I added SOS component this year.  If you take a look at Ohio St schedule, it's not very daunting.  The B1G 10 isn't very strong this year with the exception of Ohio St and Michigan St.  There's a huge drop-off to the next tier of Penn St, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Michigan.  Week 1 results are not going to help Ohio St's SOS since the 4 teams listed in the next tier all lost in Week 1.  However, Michigan St plays a top 10 team in Oregon this week and I think they'll win so that will help the SOS.

For the same reason, that is why a bunch of teams ranked lower jumped up higher in my polls since they won their games by a large margin of victory (MOV) and also got bonus points for being in the top 50 of SOS rankings.

As I mentioned earlier, the SOS is recalculated each week so one week a team might get the maximum bonus points and another week in the year they either don't get as many or none at all, depending on how well the teams on their schedule do.  I'm really curious to see how this new added piece will work this season and see if I can the 4 teams in the playoffs correct.

No comments:

Post a Comment