Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Explanation of 2015 Rankings Part 2

Another point I forgot to mention in my previous post is that due to the fact my polls are solely based on actual results from games played that week, my polls are very fluid. That being said, if a team has a bye that week, they don't earn any points and therefore will definitely drop in that week's polls. So of you might think this isn't fair. All teams, well I should say most teams (Arizona not being one of them this year), have at least one bye week during the season. Due to this, I believe it all evens out. In Week 1 we had the perfect example of the fluidity of my polls. LSU was ranked #14 & #13 in the AP & Coaches polls respectively in the preseason polls. Since their game with McNeese St was cancelled due to weather, they dropped out of both of my polls. Now this week, they'll likely jump back in since they'll be playing at Mississippi St this Saturday, that is if they win. Another note regarding LSU is that this cancelled game might really hurt them at the end of the season. This game with McNeese St is not being rescheduled. Therefore, LSU will only have 11 regular season games instead of 12. This game was a lock for a win and they probably would have won by 20+ points, but since McNeese St is a FCS team, they would be getting a deduction for that. Even with that FCS deduction, they still would have quality points that they won't be able to make up. I'll keep an eye on LSU this year (hard for me to say that since I'm a USC fan and still don't like LSU after their bitching and moaning of splitting the national championship with USC in 2003 when USC was ranked #1 in both polls at the end of the regular season and got screwed by the BCS title game) to see how this missing game affects them. If it makes a big difference I'll have to think of a way to fix this for next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment